It’s that time of the year when extra calories lurk around every corner- frosted donuts at the office, holiday cookies at your friend’s, candy for hanukkah or chocolates at the christmas party. All these extras add up, and if you’re like most people, you’ll put on a few pounds from now until New Year’s Day. The good news is you don’t have to fall into this trap. You can enjoy the holiday goodies without putting on a single pound. Portion control is they key to enjoying all the delicious foods around the holidays. It’s not easy, of course. Here are a few tips to help you avoid overindulging.
1. Never arrive hungry. Don’t attend holiday parties when you’re starving. Be sure to have your usual healthy meals. If you do arrive hungry, drink a liter of water before loading the plate.
2. Distract yourself. There’s more to holiday parties than just food. Enjoy your friends’ company or dancing. Focus on the conversation and chatting.
3. Pace yourself. Chewing more slowly will fill you up with less food. Put your fork down between bites, this puts you in control.
4. Outsmart the buffet. When dinner is served buffet-style, use the smallest plate available and dont stack your food; Go for the simplest foods like fruits, vegetables and shrimp cocktail. Watch out for the sauces and dips.
5. Limit alcohol. Avoid drinking too much alcohol at holiday parties. It’s not just about calories but about exercising control. If you drink a lot you won’t have as much control over what you eat.
Follow these tips, and you’ll be sure to keep all the fitness gains you’ve worked so hard to achieve, and you’ll be well ahead of everyone else before people start setting their New Year’s Resolutions!